Residential Refuse Collection Program Guidelines
Curbside collection of refuse will take place once each week on the same day in accordance with the existing routine schedule. Bulky waste will be collected once each month on the first full week of the month, beginning on Monday. Routine schedule collections shall be made on every legal holiday, except the following: NEW YEAR’S DAY, MEMORIAL DAY, JULY 4th, LABOR DAY, THANKSGIVING, AND CHRISTMAS, or as noted by the Town in a local newspaper or on it's website. Collection not made because of a holiday shall be made the following day and the remaining weekly schedule shall be one day later than normal.
HOW CAN I REQUEST A SECOND REFUSE CONTAINER?
A household may request a second container for an annual service fee by contacting the Public Works Department at (860) 644-2511, ext. 343. The annual service fee will be subject to annual price adjustment review. An invoice for additional container service will be mailed to those residents receiving this service and must be paid by June of each year in order to continue with the program. Failure to pay this invoice will result in the removal of the additional container(s) during the final week of June each year. If removed, there will a $35 per can reinstatement fee payable within the first three months (July through September inclusive) of the fiscal year, before return of container.
GRASS CLIPPINGS - DUE TO CHANGES IN STATE LAW
Grass clippings can no longer be disposed of with refuse and will no longer be collected at the curb by the Town. Trash mixed with grass clippings will not be collected. Grass clippings should be left on the lawn, removed by private contractor, or brought to a State permitted site.
CONSTRUCTION & DEMOLITION MATERIAL
Home improvement generated building material wastes are NOT acceptable. If work is done by a contractor – the homeowner is responsible for disposal of the waste.
MATERIALS NOT ACCEPTABLE FOR REFUSE COLLECTION
1. Materials which have not been placed in the auto collection container provided by the Town.
2. Materials from the repair of, excavation for, construction or destruction of buildings or structures (i.e., earth, plaster, mortar, brick, roofing material, sheet rock).
3. Dangerous or environmentally unsafe materials such as cleaning fluids, motor oil (will still be taken with recycling)paints (other than dried water-base paints), acids, poisons drugs and explosives.
4. Leaves are collected in the fall during the annual leaf collection program. At other times during the year, leaves may be brought to the compost site at Burgess Road. Call the Town Garage at 648-6366 to make arrangements to obtain a key for the compost site.
SCRAP METAL IS NOT PART OF THE BULKY WASTE COLLECTION
Scrap metal is recyclable, call Town Hall prior to noon on Tuesday for a Wednesday metal pickup. Metal is only picked up with advance notice. A fee in the amount of $15.00 is charged for items containing freon – refrigerators, freezers, air conditioners, dehumidifiers. The fee must be paid in advance of pickup. Please contact the Public Works Department at the (860) 644-2511 ext 343 or request a metal pickup online .
COMMON DISPOSAL QUESTIONS
How do I dispose of:
1. Paint – if latex (water-base) air dry and dispose with refuse. If not dry, try adding kitty litter to absorb any liquid. Save non-water base paint/stain for Household Hazardous Waste Collection.
2. Brush – Placed in the automated collection container.
3. Cardboard – Corrugated cardboard is recyclable, it must be placed in recycle bin.
FOR MORE INFORMATION ON REFUSE DISPOSAL
CALL (860) 644-2511, EXT. 343