The Building Department personnel are responsible for overseeing all building construction within the Town of South Windsor. Connecticut State Building Codes and the State Statutes that regulate building construction are enforced by the building inspectors. All records pertaining to the structures on individual properties are kept in the department. Questions concerning building additions, alterations, or renovations should be directed to the
Contact the Building Department when considering construction of a new building or altering an existing structure. We review plans and specifications of proposed construction. Technical support is also provided for property owners and people involved in the building trades. Our staff issues permits and performs inspections during all phases of construction. Call our office to find out if your project requires a permit and/or inspections.
THE PERMIT PROCESS
1. CONTACT THE BUILDING DEPT to inquire about the permit process for your particular project.
2. SUBMIT APPLICATION along with plans and specifications (if required).
3. PERMIT APPROVAL can be received upon completion of the plan review or consultation with the inspector. At this time you may proceed with the project.
4. SCHEDULE INSPECTIONS with the building department at each phase of the project (see required inspections).
5. CERTIFICATE OF OCCUPANCY is issued when code compliance has been determined by a final inspection.
PERMIT FEES : ($15) fifteen dollars per thousand, or any part there of.
CERTIFICATE OF OCCUPANCY FEES: are ($10) ten dollars.
1. THE FOOTING INSPECTION is done when the excavation has been completed and the forms are in place, but BEFORE concrete is poured.
2. THE FOUNDATION INSPECTION is done before it is backfilled when the foundation coating and insulation (if required) is in place.
3. THE ROUGH INSPECTIONS include framing, electrical, plumbing, heating, etc. to be done before the insulation is in place.
4. THE INSULATION INSPECTION is done prior to the placement of wall, ceiling and floor finishes.
5. THE FINAL INSPECTION is done when the work is complete and prior to occupancy.
ALL INSPECTIONS REQUIRE 24 HOUR NOTICE
Fees and requirements are subject to change without advance notice posted here.
Contact the Building Department to verify the accuracy of the information posted.
Forms on this page require Adobe's Acrobat Reader. This is a free download from Adobe.
If you need it click on the icon below to begin that download.
While forms are available for downloading from this site,
they must be submitted, in person, by fax or by mail.
No on-line or electronic filing is available.